Sunday, June 23, 2013

Wonders We Lost

Every moment I held dear, left in slow motion.

Fireworks rose above the trees as we children laughed and dreamed.
Fall fell and we all grew a little bit older, a little bit colder, as the trees slept.
Snow blew horizontal, a pure curtain parted as I passed through the drifts.
Puddles soon swelled up from impacts of bare feet dancing in the street.

Hellos are lost and goodbyes linger.
Tall trees are laid low in the wake of storms,
While others grow up after death takes what it wants.
Some days you came home from school
Just to find out that the dog had been put to sleep.
Distance grew between between friends up the street,
Inch by broken concrete inch.

Some days have been easier to remember than others.

I found my breath that Sunday afternoon,
In my lungs hidden beneath skin and bones and sunlight.

The rain that splashed my lips
Was the closest I've had to a pure kiss.

We walked the town with the future over our heads
Where years before I spoke the words Tuesday wrote.

Talks between friends that lasted late into summer nights,
Lying innocently to ourselves that we would change the world.

Wasted hours were never wasted with friends,
On couches and floors, in front of screens or outdoors.

I wish I had breathed a little slower, a little surer;
Made every breath a "Hallelujah"

I think it is no ill thing to visit the past
As long as you don't linger and listlessly lean on it for support.

Sometimes we all need to relive our stories.




No comments:

Post a Comment