Monday, April 29, 2013

Bruising My Palms

I appreciate your honesty,
Inlaid with steel and swung with great force.

The years have not been the kindest
But still you've kept your defenses up against the odds.

But while I would have you endure my friend,
It's time to lay down your weapons.

After all, steel never shines on its own,
Only reflecting a little light from yourself and that's dim enough.

I am tired of dancing through these dodges
And patching up these wounds when the blows land.

By now you're just swinging at shadows
Even if the only shadows are cast from friends.

So you pour yourself out like holy water,
Hoping your faults will wash out better through long suffering.

You never feel more useless then when the people you love most
Have no way for you to hold them up.

Maybe you're supposed to be this all encompassing mystery,
A knot to untangle as I try to sleep away these bruises.


No comments:

Post a Comment